View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
Synchro909

Default Re: RH Drive Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I thought that Ford still had an Australian division. Weren't they still making cars using the Falcon name? I had heard that Ford Australia made really good cars. If they are gone, how long has it been?

Ken
Ford closed their Australian manufacturing plants in 2017. You are correct in that they used the "Falcon" name and that they were really good cars. To illustrate that, the Falcon had a safety rating of 5 stars (the top rating) along with Mercedes, BMW, Volvo etc. When they tried to sell the Mustang here, motoring writers advised people DO NOT BUY IT. They had a safety rating of 2 stars and were (are) considered rubbish. Maybe we were spoiled by the Falcon but there is still no other car on the market quite like it. KIA has one that goes closest.
GM made and sold the Commodore here and to my mind, there was very little to choose between them. You guys nearly got to experience the superiority of these cars when GMH sent a couple of thousand of their sports version on a long wheel base to the US for use by police. The cops loved them for their get up and go, road holding and comfort. GM put Chev badges on them. The same car on a shorter wheel base was just becoming known when the GFC hit. GM revived the Pontiac GTO label for them but when the crunch of GFC hit, they discontinued Pontiac and that was the end of that. Ford Detroit sabotaged their own operation here by not allowing Ford Australia to make any LHD cars. Stupid, I know but that's a fact.