View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Roger V

Default Re: Planning on a Shop Lift, Two or Four Post?

I have a four post Autolifter made in the US. I agree that there are times when a two post would be more convenient as previously mentioned. I guess I feel safer with the four post. Maybe it was the story of a friend who was a mechanic at Roush. A fellow mechanic working next to him removed the rear end and the vehicle fell off the two post lift as he didn't have it balanced. I don't use mine for storage though I have 12'7" clearance. Yes, I have hit my head when I "thought" I was clear. I have six inches of concrete in that area though it requires only four inches. BTW, one of the most important details IMO is that the cross rails have collar ends that surround the post in order to keep it rigid. I don't have to bolt it to the floor and can move it with casters if needed. Many/most of the cheaper or foreign made have cross rail ends that are inside slotted columns. Those should be anchored to the floor. Backyard Buddy is similar to mine and made in the US too. Ironically, some times you get your wish. Before I complained about access working off a creeper on the floor under a car. Now I complain about my neck hurting from looking up from a standing position as well as not seeing very well through the top of my glasses close-up! Oh well............
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)