View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #22
Ross F-1

Default Re: Air/Fuel Meter/gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
One of the reasons the opinions vary WIDELY on what the A/F should be set to is the variances between different meters. There is also the fact that differing engine systems can dictate the requirement for different mixtures. I have tested several brands of A/F meters under the same conditions and found that the owner should plan to experiment beyond what the meter is indicating.
I installed an Innovate AFM on my truck, used it to tune my Holley 94. Decided I was done with it, so I sold it. Then I switched to a Rochester 2G, so I bought another one. There is about a 1.0 difference between the two units. Interestingly, both show 12.5:1 when the PV's are clearly open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Some of the “tuning” involves making the engine run right, not just satisfying the meter,..... correct?.....Mark
My engine runs like crap if I try to get above 13:1 at or just above idle. I've read where some get their engines to show 14's at idle, just not in the cards for mine. The difference in gas consumption just can't be significant, the difference in driveability is huge.