View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: First transmission rebuild

I agree it does seem to be more about bell housing restoration. I made my bushing driver from an old pedal shaft . I install the pedal shaft collar backwards on the leading end of the shaft . I shorten the shaft so that the un worn end is removed so that it will enter the new bushing without resistance . With the shaft completely or more than completely penetrating the new bushing will help keep the bushing going in a straight line as it is driven in without allowing the bushing to get cocked and damaged . I chamfer the leading end of the bushing only to ease resistance as the bushing is started . The backwards side of the pedal shaft collar rests against the bushing as it is driven in to place . This home made tool works on the clutch release shaft bushings as well as the pedal bushings . I use the clutch releas shaft reamer from Brattons as it reams both shaft bushings at the same time .

Bushings are cheap . I always buy extra bushings in case I damage one on installation . Having extras will save on shipping if you had to reorder .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote