View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
TBone69

Default Re: Banjo carrier preload problem

After much double checking of everything, seeing nothing wrong and not wanting to use many many gaskets I threw caution to the wind and started cutting.

I took .010 off of each side of the carrier on the first pass, put everything back together and carrier still would not turn. Tore everything back down and took another .010 of each side. I went through a few combinations of gaskets and ended up with a total of .045. The carrier turned so I installed my preload tool and Viola!!!! 20 inch lbs to get moving!!!!

So a little quick math would tell me I would have had to use .085 worth of gaskets. I boogered up the gaskets I had from so much trial and error so I will order another kit. Hopefully I can get away with 3 .015 gaskets but with my luck I will have to split it up to at least one .010 and .005 to get he backlash set. I will also make some studs for gasket alignment to help lining up gaskets.

I'm off to The Race Of Gentlemen next weekend so probably wont get back to work on the rebuild till the week after. Hopefully we will have a nice weekend of Indian Summer so I can get the rear painted once back together and get it hung in the chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg machining carrier.jpg (37.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20 inch lbs.jpg (21.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by TBone69; 09-28-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Add pictures
TBone69 is offline   Reply With Quote