View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
bobH

Default Re: Engine pics walt dupont

Walt, you make it sound so easy. I've been trying to come up with an engine for almost two years. So far, I'm back to almost zero progress. This engine is the one that I planned to use the Merc crank in (which was sourced from you, few years ago). First engine got along far enough that it was on an engine stand, and running. Found water in the oil within 10 minutes. Bottom line, block has fatal holes which can't be repaired - can't access them. This, after I have about 1K in the block alone, not counting anything else. This engine sounded great. Second block... I tore it down, my engine builder had it cleaned, checked for cracks, found two (the ones that go from a port, across the deck, and down the cylinder), and he rejected it. He wants a block (59) with no cracks. Third block, almost same problem, this time, only one of these cracks - reject. Fourth block, almost the same, but this time, added damage from a rod that broke (we think). I've become discouraged, and project is currently on hold. But, I've got a lot of good parts - Merc crank, .010/.010, rods done, new pistons, rings, bearings, fresh cam, lifters, pump, new aluminum heads, fresh clutch, surfaced & balanced flywheel, etc, and the rotating assembly is balanced. Obviously, you've got a better plan than I have.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote