View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
Big hammer

Default Re: 2-3 Shift Point Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Problem solved. Turns out I was not using enough advance. Typically I start full up on the timing lever and drop down to 1/3 to drive. Tried 7/8 to full advance and it runs fine at 20 mpg. At full advance still did not have any pinging. Suspect every engine is different, but in general, can full advance at slow speed be damaging over time ?
Last year I was out for a long ride, my car started to run bad, the weather was changing getting cooler and the wind was picking up. I kept messing with the advance, gav but nothing helped, so I headed home. Wondering what happened so I began checking things, what I found was the points gap had closed down to about .015 and the follower had worn, this was after a new points replacement ! I went for another ride and everything was good. Soooo when the points gap closes your engine is running more retarded, if your base timing is retarded and the points gap closes the more advance you need to have the lever. When you find you need to run with the lever down, you should be checking the points!