View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 2-3 Shift Point Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Shifting the old 31 Tudor from first to second can be done at a very slow speed with no problem. My question is the second to third shift. My engine lugs if I shift much below 30mph which makes me feel like I am winding it out in second higher than should be necessary. Sort of feels like I should have a four speed trans with a gear in between my actual second and third to get me up to cruising speed. At what speed do most folks typicall shift in to third ? Could my spark timing be over or under advanced to support a lower speed shift point ? Just seems like the engine is turning too slow to drive in third at 25mph or less. Watcha think ?
It sounds to me like you have something wrong with your engine. With a totally stock engine, and a stock 3.78 rear end gear ratio, you should have shifted into high (3rd gear) by the time you have accelerated to 15 mph. The Ford Instruction Book recommended 12 - 15 miles an hour as the shift point. If your engine is lugging at 12 - 15 miles per hour, then it is likely that the camshaft is worn -or the engine is down on power.

Even when I have 3.54 gear ratio and a high compression head in a Model-A, I can turn a corner at 15 - 20 mph, -remain in 3rd gear and accelerate back to speed without the engine lugging or bucking.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)