View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #19
DRG-ler

Default Re: Rear axle shaft thread broken

In advance I will go a completely different way. The tip came from a neighbor who drives an old Adler convertible from 1936. He gave me the tip to first cut the original thread so that it is clean again. Then the thread cutting die is cut and made tighter. With this tighter setting, the thread on the axle is recut again and again until the thread turns look clean again.

With this setting of the die, a thread mandrel is cut, which then has the same thread as the one on the axis. And this threaded mandrel is used as a gauge to turn a completely new nut made of hexagonal steel on the lathe.

The whole thing has the disadvantage that only the self-made nut fits on this axis. But then you still have the largest possible thread diameter, and you can use the variant with the next smaller thread than Plan-B if Plan-A does not work. You can also adjust the length of the self-made mother to your own wishes.

I have now ordered a piece of suitable 42CrMo4V steel. That is enough for nuts with 8.8 quality, which could be tightened with M16 threads with up to 230Nm. But I don't need such values ​​for the Ford by a long way, that's more than sufficient.

I just hope you all understand me and the online translator doesn't write so much nonsense.

Greetings Andy
DRG-ler is offline   Reply With Quote