View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
Res731

Default Re: Diff assembly coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Looking at your photo I think you will find that you will need two of the large wrenches that fit the two large nuts on the pinion sleeve when it comes time to set the pre-load there.

Another tip: When you have the hubs on the carrier knurled, have the machinist take a .005 cut on the bearing stop to true it up, then add a .005 shim there. Have another cut taken below the stop about a 1\4" deep and about 1\8" in. This will allow more room to get a bearing puller under the bearing to pull it off without damaging it if you need to add more shims.

The last photo shows a bearing hub sheared off because someone did not understand pre-load and locked up the bearing. Henry's 40 horses usually spin the bearing on the hub, however, in this case it sheared the hub. This actually came out of a running car. I have seen this on several occasions.

Best to use a shop press when installing the bearings. Hammering them on is not recommended. Be certain they are fully seated.

Tom Endy
Hi Tom. When I took the pinion off I used one of the vendor wrenches for near the banjo and a large adjustable wrench on the outer one. That seemed to work to remove it at least
Res731 is offline   Reply With Quote