View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: Full Front Suspension Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
When I bought this car in May I thought I had purchased a completely restored car. I now realize that is not the case. I'm glad the body looks good, though, as body work is not for me. I'm considering going through the front end (maybe even new axle) this Fall/Winter. Is there a good thread on here that would point me to what all I need to buy? This is a '28 Sport Coupe.
I’m just completing a full front end rebuild on my 29 Sport Coupe.

I don’t know if there’s a single thread that covers everything, but I took it in steps, and I’m sure you will find threads on individual front end sub assemblies. Here’s a summary of what I’ve done:

1. Rebuild front spring - removed, separated leaves, ground ridges off individual leaves, cleaned and painted each leaf, greased and reassembled. No spreader needed to remove or reinstall, although a big C-clamp is handy for reassembly and installation of shackles.

2. New spring shackles and bushings

3. New king pins and bushings. Had to replace one spindle.

4. New steering arms with new balls, new short pitman arm with new ball. Got these from Snyders.

5. New internal parts for tie rod and drag link - I used the kit with bronze seats from Mikes Affordable parts.

6. Front brakes - new roller tracks, new woven linings, new springs, new actuator arm shafts, new V-wedge and operating pins. Front brakes on this car had significant wear on all parts.

7. New press-in grease fittings on all parts.

8. New Timken bearings and races on both front hub/drums.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)