Thread: 10mpg
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 01:11 AM   #1
eamonford

Default 10mpg

Hi all! I have a 1928 Tudor, and I get 10mpg. From reading other posts and articles around the internet, I’m getting the impression that this isn’t completely out of the range of what I should be expecting after 93 years, but still seems definitely on the lower end — I see some people are saying they get up to 26mpg. Does my gas mileage indicate a problem somewhere? I typically drive on back country roads at my engine’s top speed of 55mph, with full spark advance and the GAV at 1/2 turn (any less than that and I start losing some power). I’ve also replaced the original Zenith carb with a Schebler. A compression test shows each cylinder at about 64psi, which matches the Bratton’s spec. I’ve set the timing to be ~0 degrees when the spark advance lever is fully retarded. I have a thermostat installed, so temp gauge always shows coolant temp between 145-160 degrees. Other than a minor exhaust leak between the manifold and the exhaust pipe, my engine feels very healthy — I can even idle at about 90 rpm. Could it be that I need new valve seats? A ring job? Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by eamonford; 04-24-2021 at 01:23 AM.
eamonford is offline   Reply With Quote