View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #17
bobH

Default Re: New pinion bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
A bunch of years ago, I rebuilt a banjo rear with new bearings AND a new ring and pinion. I had a hell of a time getting the preload on the pinion bearings. The preload would be too loose, I'd tighten the nut and the outer pinion would jump a bit and the preload would then be too tight. Over and over again. I finally got it good. It turns out that the pinion shaft was the same diameter full length and both bearings were fairly tight press fit. That shaft should have bee a schosh looser for the outer bearing so wouldn't have taken so much force to move it to the proper preload point. Next time, I'll take a wee bit off that outer end of the shaft if it's the same diameter full length.
Original pinion shafts came with that step on them. The pinion shaft you describe, is what I would call a defective part. The guy that has 'moded' pinion shafts for me, is a flathead guy, and a crankshaft grinder. He knows this stuff, and simply duplicates what Henry did in the first place. Next time you have an original 30's pinion in hand, measure the shaft.... easy to measure the 'step'.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote