View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Carburetor Float Valve Seat Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Am I understanding correctly that the float valves that the vendors sell today, which are one piece, are not the original style that was used in the zenith carbs? We're the originals a separate seat and needle?

Most one-piece units are modern Grose-Jet valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Brent,

Photos of the Float Valve and upper Carburetor half would be helpful for the rest of us to your visualize your delima.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Darryl, I don't really have pictures and the issue is solved now but as mentioned above, the seat of the float valve had slots installed during manufacturing to install/remove that particular style of seat. Somewhere along the way, one of the slots was damaged where a screwdriver could not effectively remove it when twisting the screwdriver.

For the sake of illustration, let's suppose the center portion of the seat had a 0.250" round bore where the needle would reside. If I would have had a screwdriver that had a 0.249" round pilot in the center of the tip, this would have indexed into the center of the brass valve allowing the twisting forces to be directly from/over the vertical centerline. This likely would have allowed just one end of the screwdriver tip to twist the seat out of the carburetor top. That first picture I posted shows what that type of tool would have looked like. I chose an alternate method and we got the seat out by using a left-handed end mill that loosened it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote