Thread: Smokin
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
mccsix

Default Smokin

OK so the car won't shut off with the key, so I buy a replacement sw and install...no change.
Go start it yesterday AM and it starts ok starts to smoke behind the dash. I shut down with a master cutoff sw I have under the dash. Unscrew the chrome dash cover and feel for hot wire. I find the red wire to the ign sw is hot. So I remove it and see if the car will start/smoke.....it does both.
This getting serious, so again I hit the cutoff sw and ck the heat on all the wiring behind the chrome dash. All the wires are hot.
When I replaced the ign sw to start all 3 wires to it were put back in the same pole location, nothing crossed or mis placed.
So I have a direct short some where in this very simple wiring. The ammeter looks intact not burned that was my 1st thought for a short but not sure.
I can't keep activating the sys or something going to melt down and it will happen very quickly.
The car is 12v system.
I guess I could disconnect everything but not sure about ability to re wire correctly. The car has a new wiring harness through out except for a couple of add on red wires to the coil...all installed by PO. red wire to coil is only one currently disconnected and the black wire going from the ign sw to the ammeter seemed to smoke the most.
I am going to disc that black wire and try that next. If the car runs and doesn't smoke I think its the ammeter gone bad if not, not sure where to go next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0667(1).jpg (51.4 KB, 130 views)

USN

Last edited by mccsix; 09-25-2021 at 09:42 AM.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote