View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
tsanborn

Default Re: '56 Country Sedan Neutral Safety Switch

Great information, many thanks! Rewiring has turned into a slow reluctant march into enemy territory. You are correct, the Painless harness is generic, not specifically for my '56 Country Sedan. Since there is apparently no NSS, where is the switch that controls the backup lights? I've looked all over and can't find one (or an NSS). I've ordered a toner and will try tracing the wire from the bulb to wherever the switch is hiding.
While waiting for the toner, I've moved on to rewiring the gauges. Since I can't figure out how to remove the instrument panel that the gauges are mounted in, I will need to do it by the Braille method. The Gen/Oil Pressure gauges are idiot lights, so those should be easy to rewire. That leaves me with the gas gauge and temp gauge. The harness provides a single sender wire for each gauge as well as a common power wire. But without removing the gauges to see which post is which, I need some advice to verify the right order. Also, I saw a reference somewhere online to a "instrument regulator" that lives behind the instrument cluster and reduces voltages to the instruments. Would this apply to a 1956 Ford? I think this applied to a later model.
tsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote