View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: 8 volt battery in 6 volt car

Six volts will work , there really doesn't have to be a problem . There is such a thing as an improvement . My reason for setting up my roadster on twelve volts was that I p[refer a more powerful twelve volt system for the same reasons that most vehicles changed to twelve volts over sixty years ago .

Twelve volt bulbs are readily available . I have NEVER had a problem with the original MODEL A generator or starter when used on twelve volts . I run mine positive ground and no wires will need to be changed or reversed . The biggest thing is installing a twelve volt battery and either using a three OHM coil or installing a resister at the six volt coil . I am now using the Fun Projects twelve volt can style voltage regulator with good results . I have also used the original type cut out on twelve volts . My repro horn blows strong enough on twelve volt to be a good warning device when needed Most six volt accessories will need a voltage resister .

If a person wants to run negative ground It will be necessary toi reverse the wire connections at the ammeter and the coil . Of course the battery will also need to be hooked up negative ground .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote