View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Economical and effective hydraulic brake conversion.

Thos,

How are the mechanical brakes now? You should be able to stop in 20 feet at 20 mph and you should be able to lock up the wheels. Did the previous owner do any work on the brakes? The mechanical brakes with the cast iron drums can stop the car well enough to drive in modern traffic if they are in excellent condition. You can have the brakes rebuilt by sending in the backing plates and all the parts.

There are aftermarket kits that can improve the mechanical brakes. Search for Flat Head Ted kits. Some owners will argue that these kits are not necessary if the original brakes are in excellent condition.

The hydraulic kits are made up of later components such as the master cylinder, slave cylinders, backing plates, shoes, drums, etc. You can search for these components online and possibly save some money. The kits usually will specify where the different parts come from. I am not the expert here so perhaps others can elaborate.

The safety glass is expensive. I had a small half of my windshield on my Model T replaced and it costs $150. I took the glass out of the frame myself and put the new piece in myself. If you do the labor you may be able to save some money.

You will have to weigh the cost of safety equipment against the cost of possible injuries to yourself and your loved ones that may be passengers in your car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-29-2021 at 05:55 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)