View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: receiving paypal payments

A couple of tips I will offer about PayPal. The first may be obvious, but it should have it's own email account; don't tie it to your regular email account. Second you should ensure that your PayPal username does not contain any "confusing" characters. By this I mean "1"'s and "I"'s, "O"'s (ohs) and "0"'s (zeroes); anything that makes a typo possible. Paypal, in it's infinite wisdom, does not edit payee names against their own internal data. If someone makes a typo (types a"1" vs. an "I"), the payment will be accepted and goes into limbo. In this case, you have to contact the payee, have them cancel the payment, and then resend it to the proper username. I had this happen to me several times and it's a hassle to get your money. I have since changed my username to a very unambiguous one. It's their suystem; why can't the edit their own usernames? I started in the computer business in 1965, and we did it back then. I think that at any one tome they have a bunch of money floating around in this particular limbo, and they are operating on the "float".

Having a separate bank account is also a good idea. It can also be used if doing wire transfer, etc. so everything is isolated.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote