View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: woodgrain - original process & appearance

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi Bill,

I saw my uncle paint his entire car, out-of-doors, on a calm day with several coats of lacquer ...... like yours, it was beautiful.

I think most very early dash boards on expensive cars were beautifully lacquered hard wood. E. g., I saw a beautiful original 1925 Pierce Arrow with a lacquer clear coated Honduras Mahogany dash ..... also, I have part of a 1925 or so lacquered walnut Nash dash with a Waltham watch in it.

I guess when they started making dash boards with metal, painting wood grain on metal became popular and the hard lacquer provided protection.

In his first post Larry is thinking that because he sees no shiny clear coat on his dash that he is assuming that perhaps clear coat was not available back then.

However, Marco Polo not only discovered pasta for spaghetti in China ...... he noted that China had also been using beautiful clear coat lacquer on wood for thousands of years.

No doubt all professional painters in the 1920's- 1930's were very familiar with extremely fast drying hard lacquer clear coat used a lot on furniture ..... but ..... on a second note ...... I really have no idea if Henry Ford liked to eat spaghetti?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote