View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Pete

Default Re: T5 to early Ford rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I think 40 Deluxe came close to asking the same question I have---The stock Ford u-joint is of a floating cross design to allow the driveshaft to misalign without binding. Binding would occur even when the proper pivot locations are maintained if there is spring travel. The front to rear "float" will not resolve this problem because the fixed shaft locations can become higher or lower in relation to each other. In a race car, with very minimal rear end vertical movement, it might not be a serious situation? But in a street car, with normal rearend vertical movement, it seems like something has to bend, bind, or break if the u-joint does not self-center.
Hi John...I hear what you guys are saying and I thought about it for awhile before proceeding on the first build.The distance between the torque tube pivot and the U-joint center is only about 2 inches.
The race car only has about 3 inches of spring travel so the angular deflection at the pivot points is so small that it can be ignored.
Also, the roller torque tube bearing is not a super precision fit so there is some slop there.
On the T5 street installations, The same overall effect happens because the torque tube is about 4 feet long and the spring travel is about 6 inches. Hence the angular deflection is about the same.
The race car has 11 seasons on it with the same U joint and transmission rear bushings. No visable wear.
Who knows how many miles on the hot rods with the T5's. I know the guys fairly well and I'm sure they would let me know if something was wearing out.
It's one of those deals where the engineering is not dead on but it works.
BTW, the race car is for sale and I might consider delivering it.

PeteVS: The torque tube bearing is lubed by packing. The spacer washer in front of it keeps dirt out. No problems with that in 11 years and we race on dirt about half the time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote