Thread: Veterans Day
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
Benson

Default Re: Veterans Day

Army 1967 to 1969, First Cavalry Division Feb 1968 to Jan 1969 . Ft Monmouth 1967 and 1969.

Thanks to the Huey "Slick" crews AKA "The Man in the Doorway", who brought us 7.62 mm ammo at "Oh Dark Thirty" on Jan 30th and 31st during Tet Offensive, when the Viet Cong were "inside the wire" and we were out of ammo.

This was my introduction to the newly introduced AH-1 Cobra, Slicks and Huey Gunships.

If anyone in Vietnam could be called a Hero it is these Pilots and crew members!
For those who do not know about "The Man in the Doorway":
https://www.military.com/video/opera...y/806796741001

I will forever be in debt to you guys!

Feb 10th, 1968 to Jan 27th 1969
Provided Technical Support to First Cavalry Division, 173rd Airborne and others based at "The Golf Course", Central Highlands.

Thanks to the 134th AHC for flying many support mission for us at AnKhe. Remember the TDY trips and the hundreds of ammo bunkers filled with all the 7.62, 5.56 and 2.5 inch rockets that you could never shoot in a lifetime AND No paper work to fill out!

Charter member of the Colorado Tribute to Veterans Memorial Fund. We raised $660,000 to build the Veteran's Memorial at the State Capitol in Denver.

Charter member of The Friends of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial.
Have you used the data base in one of The Friends of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial LAPTOPs at The Wall in WDC and The Moving Walls to cross reference names, dates, units and etc in The Big Green Book?

As a Charter member of "The Friends" in the 80's I was the one who referred Pegi Donovan and Ira Hamburg to one of my customers who was Ross Perot of EDS (Electronic Data Systems) when The Friends were looking for someone to convert the list of names on The Wall from IBM 2420 1/2 inch tape (some of which we created at AnKhe years earlier) to Personal Computer format for use on the laptops.

Ross Perot funded the project to provide the software and laptops.

See also posts 51 and 71

Last edited by Benson; 12-20-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote