View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
M2M

Default Re: Tudor front seat crunch time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Well my friend....you picked the worst body style there is as far as seating. Folks have been miserable with Tudor seats for decades. I owned two different auto/furniture upholstery shops through the years. Things I have heard from others are Snyders springs are a bit stiff. BUT, in this case it may be just what you need. If you go that rout I would follow up with Foam as opposed to cotton. many here will chastise me and will tell you that foam deteriorates which is pure bull durum. By the best foam you can buy not crap from Walmart. You and your trimmer will have to custom fit the compression rates of foam that work for you. Last year I reupholstered our 30 Tudor and I through the cushion springs away. I built a concealed box frame and fitted "no-sag" (zig-zag springs) and custom laminated foam that goes underneath the actual seat covers. You cannot tell the difference by looking at them. We now drive all day in total comfort. No more sinking but. Good firm solid support. I will try to post pictures that I posted last year for you. keep up on your research.......you are on the right track.

Thanks for your reply Bob. I've seen your post and photos of the box frame zig zag setup...if you were selling these I would probably buy. Not everyone can make something like that.

I have done research on foams and have been thinking about possible solutions to this issue for a while.

I think what I'm going to do is buy one Snyder seat spring then add a layer of dense firm high quality "16 year" foam instead of cotton. How thick a layer of cotton is normally on top of the springs?

If this works I'll buy another Snyder spring and do the same with other front seat. If it doesn't work I'll try using just foam, no coil springs.

The photo below is the Snyder spring; I definitely don't have this in my seat or something near it's quality. I have a low quality unprofessional job

It would cost too much for Snyder to make a custom spring using heavier gauge coils. I rang them again today.

As far as foams, I would buy it from a proper upholstery supply shop not Walmart. There are two foam types I am considering, the first option is a 50LB ILD like this:

http://www.usafoam.com/tech/Lux-HQTech.html

Second option is more extreme, a tractor/boat seat 90LB ILD foam. I found one supplier that sells it. This foam even when in a thin size, bottoming out is not a problem. Perhaps an inch thick layer of this on top of Snyder's would do the trick?

Last edited by M2M; 04-26-2019 at 11:50 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote