View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 03:31 AM   #28
Dick Carne

Default Re: help with Model A market values

In my opinion, a fair value for either of these two cars would depend entirely upon your anticipated action once purchased. If for instance, the purpose in acquiring either of these would be to effect a fairly immediate resale, then a lower price, perhaps not to exceed $5k would be in order. An all new Brookville roadster body can be purchased for probably something in the $7-8k range now to include shipping, and a complete running gear for somewhere in the $1,000 - $1,500 range.

As for myself, Model A’s have been a part of my life for over fifty years now. Although I do not consider myself to be an exceptionally capable mechanic, I still enjoy an afternoon of tinkering. More importantly, and perhaps the real value in these cars, is the ownership of which has allowed me to meet some of the finest people and caring friends who also my happen to share my affliction with these old cars. When I drive one of these cars I try to arrange for as many back road routes as possible - that way I don’t get in a hurry and have to “slow down” - perhaps some of the best medicine I could hope for. And the memories of these old cars and the folks I spent time with while enjoying them together is priceless. Unfortunately neither of my daughters seems to have any real interest in these cars upon my demise, but in the meantime, my wife and I enjoy the good times that we share with others of like interest. We will soon be starting our fifth restoration, which when completed, will allow us to enjoy the company of up to seven of our friend and/or family, and should cover cars for each season ... a terrible monetary investment perhaps, but nonetheless one that I would prefer over a bank account representing whatever value they might command upon a sale. I once heard a good friend who owned several Rolls Royce’s, a couple of Packards, and an Auburn, remark that he preferred his cars over a large bank account - “I can’t drive a bank account”.

As for current monetary values for these two cars individually in their current conditions, I would estimate a FMV of somewhere in the $5k range. Good luck to you with whatever decision you might make.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote