View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #35
Harpkatt

Default Re: My First Model A - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalmonkey View Post
Thanks guys. Overwhelming responses to my first day of posting. Thanks for all of the input, recommendations, and advice. I do plan to make my car a hot rod and I understand that goes against the grain of many of you here. Sorry about that. If I need to go somewhere else to ask model a type questions I understand. My hot rod plans are purely “do no harm”. Nothing will be cut. Not doing a chop or channel. No engine swap... Primarily just unbolting the fenders and putting on some period correct wheels and banger speed mods. I love the car and am very excited about learning all I can learn about Model As. I’m collecting and reading as many related books as I can get my hands on. Looks like the nearest Model A club for me would be Hub City out of Hagerstown. I will reach out to them to see if I meet their criteria for membership.
My experience with the A' :I had a small block Chevy in my first A. Crazy roof, hydraulic brakes. It was fun for sure, but It never satisfied the itch. Making a 90 year old car go fast rarely works as well as you'd hope. If you want a fast car, I'd say buy a newer one. Even my 4 cyl ford fusion will out run most flathead cars. a 90 year old with a couple hundred horsepower likely won't handle as fast as it goes,and can make driving it more a chore. Now? I have a stock/restored 30 Coupe. I love just to stare at it, something so different than what's on the road today. I'm also going way overboard on a restoration to a 30 roadster( with hopped up banger). I'm on the young end of visitors to this site at just 31. But I promise if you drive the A' the way it is you will learn there is something special to the originality. But even here guys modify a little to suit their needs. 12v cars, aftermarket mitchel over drives, even as far as AC and heated seats! With 90 years of parts built for these cars the easiest things to do is to leave them(Close to) stock.

Your car looks great though. Good luck with it!
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote