View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
cbeckman

Default Re: Standar Roadster seat

Question for Wrndin: You have a nice example of the 28-29 open car seat cushion with the original darts at the front corners and also the original way of attaching the lower skirt into the outer bottom metal groove by crimping the enclosed cord. Most re-upholstery jobs simply hog ring the skirt to the undersurface of the springs. I am trying to upholster my springs, which have a rod just behind the front row of spring coils to which the welt crease of the top upholstery is fastened on slight downward tension. From your upside down view, can you tell if the burlap layer is divided to allow attachment of the welt tail that is sewed around the rod or is the bar above the burlap? With my bare metal springs, the rod is about 1 inch below the top of the springs within a U shaped valley. This rod is removeable by unbending the ends and then the free lower edge of the welt can be sewed around the rod before the top is laid over the padding. The rod is then reattached to the spring valley. Then I cannot figure out how the burlap can be stretched across the top surface of the springs unless the burlap is divided, or more likely only stretched after the rod is reattached which would leave the burlap with a v shaped depression at the rod. I didn’t have the benefit of seeing an original set up like you have. This welt is only present in 28 and half of 29. Thanks Charles Beckman CT Model A Restorers Club.
cbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote