View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Air Conditioning Condenser for an 8BA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmarc View Post
Hello All,

What is the best A/C condenser for a 1950 8BA?

I have a 1935 Fordor Slantback with a 1950 8BA dual carb, Isky 88 cam and dual exhaust. That said my wife says its time for A/C in the car. Several years ago I read a thread regarding a particular A/C condenser being better than others for a V8 flatty. I can not seem to find the older thread.

I am planning on using a Vintage Air A/C with heater, second generation system.

Does anyone recall the old thread or have a recommendation / experience with an A/C condenser in a 35 Fordor?

My concern is a typical A/C condenser may restrict too much air flow. I am using a five core offset tube radiator with good air flow using a 15 inch 3000 CFM FAL electric fan with a shroud. 160 degree stats but it runs about 175 degrees. I have dual mechanical temp gauges by Auto Meter and have checked them in a pot of boiling water to be with in a few degrees of each other and reading approximately 212

Respectfully

Marc

Does your '35 stay cool idling in traffic on a hot day (like 110+)? Any vapor lock problems? Every day is like a 110 deg. day when you have A/C because the heat given off by the condenser is what the radiator sees. Since you're trying to cool the radiator with already hot air, you need to move a lot of air. Pay attention to fan size, shrouds and air flow through the engine compartment. You may push a lot of air into the engine compartment, but can it escape easily?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote