View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #20
hardtimes

Default Re: T5 Valley Machining Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I think, due to Valley Machining being 2 hour away from me in San Diego and Vintage Metalworks being in Ohio, due to distance I would go with Valley Machining just in case I really get hung up on something.

I was thinking that the only fabricating I'd have to do is the cutting of the cross member, but in the link I posted it says something about "radius rod stitch welding." I'm a bit of an amateur and I'm not sure I understand what is required for "radius rod stitch welding." Other than those two things is there any real fabricating/cutting/welding I'd need to do, or have done, to complete the conversion??

Also decide whether I want open drive or closed drive. I'm not a purist and I'm not partial to keeping the torque tube, I'd like to do whatever is cheaper/safer for more daily driving. I plan on putting hydraulic brakes on it soon after completing the t5 swap for highway driving.

I really appreciate all the help and input you guys have been coming back with.

Gordy
Hey Gordy,
"keeping torque tube'....or not.
If conversion done right without keeping torque tube, if time comes when you have to 'PULL' things to fix/replace, removing U-joint makes lot easier than having to remove entire rear end with torque tube.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote