View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #26
OL JENNY

Default Re: chirp, chirp, chirp - Update

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I fought the chirp also. I had installed a new crank and bronze timing gear and while doing this replaced my old front motor mount with a new original mount. I would have the dreaded chirp at lower rpm and to make it more confusing it would usually stop when the clutch was held in. Throw out right, no plenty of grease and not the problem. Changed fan belts, lubricated fan belts, new water pump, pulled hair out all to no avail. On a tour with the help of several club members we could get the chirp to stop by putting more tension on the alternator, but tightening the alternator did not solve the problem. To finish this up, I eventually realized when I cleaned up my frame and installed the new front motor mount correctly with the spring just tight enough to get the cotter key in the bolt, the plate was dry and all the grease had been removed and it was my motor mount chirping with certain tensions. A little lithium grease between the motor mount flat plate and the frame and my problem was solved. This only took 3 months and considerable frustration.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote