Thread: First Flathead
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: First Flathead

Hi Everyone. jjk Welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

I am NOT an engine mechanic. But, if I had intentions of making that engine run again, I would not try to make it spin, especially under force, but that's just me. Too much foreign material for my taste. I think you asked about 'without tearing the block down'. Me, I'd have to think long about trying to get to where I'd run that without a good cleaning.

To tackle your question, there was a thread that showed using an accelerant (diesel or other) poured into a cylinder at BDC and lit off. Of course done outside. That seemed like one exciting way. Another thread suggested (with the engine in the car) a jack under a bar/socket on the end of the crank, applied over extended time. Both ideas are things for other people to try on their stuff, so sorry if not all that helpful. Welcome anyway!

Hey, an idea... Some folks add a little 'wanted' thingy to their automatic signature. Check your user settings. Maybe the unobtanium body part comes that way? Reference to this long-time wanted advert: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85450

EDIT TO ADD: Looked at photos again. I see a hint that the engine has been apart before, not earth-shattering, I know. I believe there would be safety wire on the castle-nuts of the main bearing caps. Just a hint.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 12-23-2016 at 12:32 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)