Thread: Ooga horn help
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
Joe K

Default Re: Ooga horn help

I have found the adjustment for these to be "touchy." Only a small difference in how close the pointed set screw is to the toothed wheel makes a BIG difference in the sound - or lack thereof. (Too close and the toothed wheel "locks" on the setscrew of course. )

You also want the "other" end of the motor shaft to touch the positioner. This way you get a consistent "touch" between the diaphragm setscrew and the toothed wheel.

You may have an issue with "magnetic center" if you find the motor shaft "moves" as you apply the current. (you can google this and learn about how large electric motors are always run uncoupled from their driven machine, the magnetic center determined, and then the motor coupling set so the motor runs "in" it's magnetic center. )

Anyway, play around with it.

OBTW, I have the Hutchins/J.C. Whitney/Western Auto horns in both 6v and 12V versions. The 12V horn when run on 6v becomes "polite" (best way I have to describe it.) The 6v horns when run on 12V will jerk themselves out of your hand when you apply the current - most unpolite!

Joe K