Thread: D44 R&P pattern
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #17
rotorwrench

Default Re: D44 R&P pattern

The original 8M-4670 slinger doesn't look like either of those. It had a hat shape to it. It was designed to work with the early type seal to minimize lubricant exposure. The old seals were usually leather so they didn't hold a very defined lip. It may work without if the new type seal has a lip but I wonder about the stack up dimension too. I would gravitate toward use of the original type myself. I see nothing about a rear oil slinger or baffle in the original parts breakdown. The only slinger shown is placed in front of the forward bearing and had a wick that fit into it that was likely made from felt like a felt washer. It also had a relatively large round gasket forward of that but it's small in cross section. The Dana 41 and 44 axles were set up with the same pinion related parts in those early 19-spline years. The Dana 41 just had a smaller carrier and case assembly but used a lot of the same parts.

The seals were changed in later years but then there were so many types of Dana 44 axle, it's hard to keep track of them all. I would have to do more research to find what all is still available and what different parts may be acceptable for use when parts aren't available.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-05-2020 at 09:18 AM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote