View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #20
mrtexas

Default Re: Buying a car site unseen.

I bought a 28 roadster pickup sight unseen. It worked out OK I suppose. The buyer didn't disclose that there was a crack in the driver's door that needed fixing and way later I discovered the passenger side door was rusted out on the bottom. It had the wrong starter installed. By wrong I mean it wasn't functional. An early 28 Model A takes a special starter with a 1/2 inch shaft. This one had one installed with a 5/8 inch shaft that would not disengage after it stuck to the flywheel it wasn't designed for. Oh well, it was roadworthy after locating the correct starter. In this case the guy that owned it inherited it from his uncle who restored it and didn't know a thing about it. I asked if it had the early 28 transmission and was told it had a Model A transmission. Turned out it had the early multi-disc transmission which was OK and had a lot of very hard to find early parts.

I was advised a long time ago by my older and more car buying experienced brother to buy an antique car from the guy who restored it. He should be able to answer detailed questions as to what work was done and you should be able to tell whether he is truthful or not. I add this bit of good advise to "don't buy sight unseen."

I'll also though in have someone who knows about that particular vehicle inspect it. After 5 cars purchased I'm a little better at inspection but my enthusiasm and the excitement of the chase seems to cloud my better judgement.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote