View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #73
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
I personally would like to hear from Brent before I /we do anything. Brent is a very wise and intelligent man that I am sure knew Tom well.
Wayne

I learned about this last week from Mark when he contacted me privately while I was in Indiana and away from my computer. Like Dean said, it definitely made me feel like throwing up from a blow to the stomach.

I thought about this quite a bit while driving home. My take on this is maybe different than some newer guys simply because like a few others, we have known Tom for many years and know his heart and character. Tom never appeared to me to be someone that selfishly coveted 'things' or took advantage of anyone to gain something. He collected things because he likely had a connection in some way to that item. Tom was always one that gave away more than he kept, -especially if that person was in a bind or had a need. One of the most valued commodities that Tom had IMO was 'Problem Solving', ...and then 'Friends' being a close second to the first. Tom freely shared his wisdom to all those who wanted it, -and he always showed patience to those who didn't understand. I am most thankful that Tom did not lose his ability to work with his hands nor did he lose his friends in this fire!

So I guess my immediate thoughts are that to Tom, money was probably not as valuable to him as was his tools. I definitely agree that for the short-term he needs cash money to buy necessities to sustain himself, and so we all need to give something (-me included), ...but inclusive of that I also am going to suggest we (-me included) look around our shops/garages/sheds for spare tools and equipment that we can gift to him. I am sure someone has an old metal lathe they are no longer using, -or maybe a drill press, or a milling machine, maybe an air compressor, a welder, a jack, or some 'tool thing' that is sitting in the corner gathering dust that could be gifted to him. Even if that 'gift' doesn't work any longer, knowing Tom how we know Tom, if he has some tools, he can likely make it work again. And, if so these are all items that he can use to make a way again for himself. Even later on after he is on his feet again, think about sending him a spare starter, generator, -or some Model-A part that he can refurbish for you, -or maybe something he can restore and sell to someone else would likely be a great boost to his recovery. Again, Tom has been a huge asset to this forum, and to the hobby itself, ...and any thing we/you can do, -no matter how insignificant it may seem to you would likely significantly improve his situation in his future!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote