View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #145
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Hey Zeke, I gotta agree with the other fellas! I just did a search to post onto this thread and hadn't seen these. That car is gorgeous. I recently read a book 'The diesel oddesey of Clessie Cummins' . A great book and lots about the early racing and cross country jaunts in oil fueled flivvers. I came on here to give my latest report. This ol tonner has been my 'go to' rig all summer for any trip into town (24 mile round trip). I have spent the summer chasing down rattles and engine noise with a vengeance. Been lining the floors, hood ,firewall and anything else with dense , heavy stick on sound deadening. With amazing results. Once I got the engine noise under control I started chasing the squeaks and rattles. Yesterday it was bike innertubes on the tailgate chains (huge). Today I went to the lumberyard and hauled home a bunch of 2x stuff and it climbed our toughest hill accelerating in high gear. Like the race car my truck would run without a single electron except the fuel cut off is electric and it needs electrons to stay open. I could install a pull out stop cable instead, but I like the electricity for the lights and heater. This truck has been a really satisfying project and it pretty much does the town run on a gallon of fuel. Fuel gauge system needs some work before I can nail down the numbers, but at 210 cu in (3.4 liters) it does a tremendous amount of work for it's displacement. With seven 3" main bearings and six 2 1/4" rod bearings I probably won't wear it out soon. When I'm not out enjoying my tonner, or out in my boat, or working, or seeing the grandkids, I am slowly amassing the parts I need for trhe 255 cu in 8ba that I am planning to build this winter for the woodie wagon. My std merc crank has be machined to 10/20 and the block pressure tested and hope to drop at machine shop a week from Friday when I take the tonner off island on a 3 day diesel oddesey of my own. Gonna show that old country girl the mainland!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote