View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #21
Penthode

Default Re: Persistent Leaky Fuel Shutoff Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
I rebuilt my original valve 3 times and it still seeped. The carb had the original ball type float valve. I bought a new tank shut off valve from who I can’t recall. Still seeped. I put in a new Viton needle and seat float valve and no more leaks. That was 5 or 6 years ago. I haven’t driven my car for a couple months and the gas is ON right now in my garage with NO leakage! I just walked out to check before I wrote this reply and it’s dry as a bone! And the tank is 3/4 full. I don’t think the valve design is a for sure never seep design. Back then your garage floor was gravel. At least my grand fathers was. Boy I miss that oil gas dirt smell!!
I forgot about the Viton needle seal. Sounds like a great idea. I will try that as well.

I have been trying to stop the seepage ever since I got the car: have rebuilt the valve and carburetor. Carburetor runs fine except for the seepage. And the main shutoff after rebuild works well for a few months, then becomes stiff and seeps. I trust this ball valve with the nylon seals will fix it.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote