View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Alaska Jim

Default Re: o/d transmission

Thanks Tubman, It has been so long since I have been around a shoebox, that I could not remember. The last early ford ( kind of early ) trans I changed out was a '53 about 40 years ago. The trans in my '51 Merc. is acting up, so I may open up the one here on the shop floor, and rebuild it if it needs it, and swap them out. I had not driven the car in about a year, but took it out 2 days ago, and it would not slip into o/d , all the way to town. ( about 7 miles ) on the way back it started acting normal. Yesterday I went to take it on a 80 mile round trip, and barely made it around the block. I let up for it to shift into 2nd o/d an the car started shuddering and making all kinds of noise. as soon as I applied more throttle and accelerated. the noise went away, but then I let up again, and I got a screeching scrapping noise. I was only doing about 30mph, so turned the corner headed back up the driveway and shut it off. Wife wanted to know why I was back already, I started the car up show show her the noise it was making, but all was quiet, so I took it around the block again, and it would not shift into o/d. and did not make any noise. To me, it seems as if something in the planetary, or the one way clutch ( sprag ) is sticking. There is definitely a problem. It is parked for now, as I do not have a lift, and my back and hip are really acting up. I will have to get my manual out and get to checking when I have time, and feel better. I think I remember the manual saying something about having to remove the front seat, carpet, and a floor plate to remove the trans. I hope not. any way, thanks for the info.---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote