View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #39
Licensed to kill

Default Re: When is a "Model A" no longer a "Model A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Here, there is a rule in car judging that says that for a car to be considered a particular make or model, 5 of the 7 major components must be from that model and the others must be period. The 7 components are:
  1. Chassis
  2. Engine
  3. Gearbox
  4. Front end
  5. Rear end
  6. Radiator
  7. Steering column
It is interesting to note that no part of the body is considered.
Yes that IS odd that the body is not on that list. Then again, to me it's odd that people would let others "judge" their car for them. I don't understand that.

Quote:
In my book, a hot rod usually has a V8 engine, different transmission, steering, front and rear ends at least so too many of he components are "foreign" to that model.
Technically, a "hot rod" is any car that has been modified to go faster or be more powerful therefore, an otherwise stock Model A with a high compression head or mitchell overdrive is a "hot rod". Just like "modified" there are different levels of "hot rod" but still technically a hot rod.

Quote:
Also, under our system, a modified car cannot be registered as a (say) 1929 Model A if it is modified outside rather stringent constraints. We do not have title for cars so that consideration is irrelevant.
I get that to a point. Example would be the opening scene in Cheech and Chongs "up in smoke" where Tommy pulls out in his VW bug with a Rolls Royce grill straped to it. Doesn't make the car a Rolls.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote