View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #31
greenpondmike

Default Re: oil with out zink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
before you go pounding your chest thinking you enlightened the world about the big bad oil companies ruining your engine what damage did it do to your lifter that it did not take out your cam?Paul pointed you to a discussion that explained their results.you have the right to disagree with it if you can bring forward evidence to dispute the results by all mans do so.but to say it ruined your 1971 6 cylinder by doing something to your lifter that miraculously did not harm your cam I find hard to believe.your quote about what you read also applies to your story I was sure that your engine used hydraulic lifters and does not apply as the oil they were talking about was aimed at solid lifters and heavy spring pressure
Whoa man, I didn't think I was pounding on my chest and I believe the oil companies are doing the best they can with the demand that car companies are putting on them because "big bad" government (EPA) wanted the cat converters to last longer and had car companies to warrent them for longer.
My cam WAS damaged--scoured, but it was either fix my truck or get a tricycle to ride 20 miles to work. I HAD to make this work and hope between the zddp for the cam and the wix filter for any grit left behind maybe things will be alright. I have a newer 6cyl that is supposed to run and have now been given a V8 that does run. No I didn't pull the oil pan because I had a limited time period to do this and this simple job turned into a all nighter and a good part of the next day. I drove it and it started ticking again and missing on a cylinder, so I added the zddp and tore into it again about a week later and now it runs as good as it ever did or better--thank GOD. I did pour oil through it to flush it out and carefully clean the top half of the head, the area around the lifters and the lifter bores and pre-assemble lube the stew out of the lifters-especially the 2 new ones and where the damaged one was in which I put one of the originals.
Will it hold up to what I did? So far, so good and maybe the filter won't stop up with particles. The camshaft cut a curvered area into the lifter about 1/8 of an inch. Cam looked scoured, but felt smooth. Broke it in alternating between 2500-3500 rpm (a guess) for a few minutes. Tapped bad at first, but smoothed out real good.
That thar is the rest of the story and I left it out to keep my long posts from being longer.
I know I should have tore it all the way down, cleaned it and replaced some more parts, but making only $8.25 an hour, I did what I could with what money and time I had. All pressure lubrication goes through the oil filter and the cam lobes are splashed lubed. Most of the grit I hope wound up in the grooves around the head bolts and wasn't there as bad when I changed the valve cover gasket a few months before. That pennzoil was slinging better than I have ever seem ANY vehicle sling oil when running it with the valve cover off. Yes, it was lubricating like crazy and this STILL happened. Yes, my rpms were low and it was slinging some oil slap dab over the fender and even coated the inside fender well. Pennzoil is a good oil, but with stuff missing in it, it is no better than any other brand. It still smells good though. Yes, I'm weird--I like to sniff my oil before putting it in the engine.
Ol oil sniffer says--peace y'all
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote