View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Canadian rebuild tag identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland View Post

I compared both rebuild plates against number references provided above by Kultulz, (thanks Kultulz!). Findings below:
The first TAG you showed is FORD MOTOR COMPANY of CANADA. The 2nd you show is of a FORD AUTHORIZED REMANUFACTURER - WESTERN ENGINE WORKS LTD.

6108 on the 2nd TAG is a piston. 6211 ROD BRGS. 6331 and 6333 are MAIN BRGS (main and center thrust).

Quote:
6199 rods is only on my original tag, not on the other Canadian tag I’ve found

6211 rod bearings is identified on both tags
6331 crank bearings is on both tags
6333 crank bearings is on both tags (why mentioned twice?)

Note that neither tag have same Letter (OS/US sizes). Seems to me most commonly we would see some bearings undersized the same unless one happens to be a second rebuild on same motor
6261 Cam bearings (oddly not mentioned on either of my tags))

No mention of cylinder bore over size in numbers mentioned above 6108, 6801 on both plates but not mentioned by Kultulz. (perhaps these two same but typo between re-manufacturer plans?).

And neither tag has 6303 on them? But perhaps covered by 6331 and 6333
You have to understand the FORD PN CONVENTION developed and changed over the years. Some numbers shown (BASIC PART NUMBER) vary between ENGINEERING and SERVICE PN's. Also some BASIC PART NUMBERS varied between conventions.

It may be the CODING is matching the size designations (last PN CHARACTER) as shown in the SERVICE PARTS CATALOG - 6211 EXAMPLE SHOWN BELOW -

As for crank and mains, FORD REMAN (US) sold what is referred to as a CRANK KIT, whereas the crank was machined and the correct inserts provided in the kit. That may be the answer for the crank (6303).

Also Read This - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...athead.426933/

Usually, all of this tag info is not included. It gives a SERIAL NUMBER where the REMAN can go back to search records as how the engine was assembled.

There had to be a REMAN CATALOGING to cross all of this over, It most likely would not have been included in a SERVICE PARTS CATALOG. It was an separate division

rotorwrench seems to have a good handle on it also.

Much varied between US and CAN PRODUCTION.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRG - CONN ROD - FLATHEAD - 1949-59 MPC TXT.jpg (21.4 KB, 5 views)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote