View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #17
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Dumb Question About Nut/Bolt Diameters

After a lifetime of messing around with bolts, threads, and screws ( I am the only person I know who collects odd size taps) Nominal bolt sizes will mike what ever the size is. Say 1/2X13 will mike .498/499, some will actually mike .500. The tap will mike .505. This why I save broken taps, the shanks are .005 larger than the nominal size. Comes in handy now and then! To make a nut, an undersize hole is drilled. This leaves the "meat" on the nut to cut the thread. The hole or "tap drill" size for a 1/2 " nut is 27/64 or about .421. This will give you a 75% thread. For a greater percentage of thread, simply use smaller tap drills. Ford used a tighter (smaller) hole and a slightly larger bolt size which is why we don't "chase" threads with a tap or die. Chasing threads with today's equipment enlarges them and destroys the original close fit. Although, I do chase bolt threads with an adjustable die opened up most of the way. There now you know more than you ever wanted to know about threads. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote