Thread: getting a title
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: getting a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Actually a bit different as i am going through it right now. IF you an out of state title, sign and apply for your registration to get you plates and apply for a title transfer, about 3 months later you will get a letter from the Illinois State Title POLICE DEPARTMENT!!!! dont be alarmed.
What you are going to do when you call her is LIFT THE CAR and call them. In other words they ONLY and ONLY ONLY will allow the Frame number to register the car, they do NOT anymore care about the engine number and what it is. In Illinois NOW the car MUST be registered to the FRAME NUMBER...You have NO choice you must lift the car, call them to see it. Now you will NOT have a rush to do this, i have some friends that have waited 2 years to do it. BUT that is it, in the mean time you are going to get a letter from the IRS telling you, that you figured you sales tax WRONG.. and you owe them $$$$.$$ all you need to do is supply a bill of sale, send it in and your done. But that is what you need to do.
Please don't tell me that the IRS is collecting sales tax now. I think you meant the state tax board. The IRS doesn't get into your pocket until you sell the car and make a profit (keep your receipts as you work on the car). I got the sales tax letter from the State of California a couple of years back. I sent them a copy of the bill of sale, several photos and a copy of the Old Cars Price Guide with the appropriate number highlighted. I never heard anything more from them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote