View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #32
psimet

Default Re: Is my block dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I had a block that I repaired with JB Weld and drove the car another 10 years that way. I wouldn't push your luck by drilling at the ends of the crack. Just wire wheel it, maybe put some metal prep on it to etch the metal like you were going to paint it and then press in the JB with a putty knife. You haven't got anything to loose making this repair.
I am leaning this way. The last pictures I posted are after wire wheel, sanding, anything I could get in there to clean. I figure I will use acetone to clean it up and throw the JB weld on. I would MUCH prefer to get it stitched but this thing hasn't run in 25-35 years. I have no idea how well it runs and definitely don't have the engine hoist, etc to get it pulled and sent out to get fixed.

I figure if I use JB Weld and find it all runs well and I am saving it then find a year in the coming years to pull the engine and re-do it and get the block fixed.

Honestly wish I could find someone that would swing by my house and be able to stitch it in the car, working upside down. I'd pay more than I should to have that done.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote