View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #25
rich b

Default Re: '36 wheel size with drop axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I would use the narrower axle from Chassis Engineering or Magnum. Disc brake kits will move your wheel about 1" to the outside. Use a 15X5 wheel wit a standard back space.
I also think the 47" axle will be to your advantage; but with a few other changes.

The Magnum axle with the '37-'40 perch width (38-1/2) along with '37-'40 wishbones and the stock or reversed eye spring is a good combo with the common disc brake kits.

The Chassis engineering axle has narrower perch centers (34") and will require a special spring; not a big deal if you are going with a new reversed eye spring.

The reason for the change to the later wishbone is that the '35-'36 spring hangers sweep outward and get into to really close to the tire on sharp turns.

This can also happen when 48" Magnum or SuperBell axles with the '28-'36 perch width (36-1/4" perch width).

A dropped stock axle usually ends up around 49-1/2" which works well with the stock wishbone and drum brakes; but can get close to the fenders with disc brake conversions.

Remember if you do use the '35-'36 wishbone that it has 2" perch bolt eyes.
Unless special ordered the aftermarket axles are 2-1/4"; easier to get an in stock axle and mill it down to 2" if needed.

The '40 in the picture has a Magnum axle, Posies spring, and an F-100 (5 on 5-1/2" pattern) rotor disc brake conversion (these are slightly wider than regular conversions)

The '35 has a Chassis Eng axle, Posies spring, '40 'bones, and F-1 drum brakes.

Both have stock '50's F-100 wheels, kinda gives you and idea on how things
can fit together; but I would measure your fender to fender inside width and add up the width of the parts you want to use and see if they are all compatible with fit and turning clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front 40 (Small).jpg (28.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg front 35 (Small).jpg (26.8 KB, 18 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote