View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #11
marc silva

Default Re: Pinion Bearing Preload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
My 1935 Motors Manual says you should feel a light drag on used bearings and a heavy drag on new bearings. I would not remove the nuts, but if no drag is felt, I would tighten them just enough to get a slight drag. Keep in mind the outer nut will change the drag when it is tightened. these rear ends do not require a rocket scientist to work on them.
Jim , I could not agree with you more that it doesn’t take a “rocket scientist”. While I am a hot rod Chevy guy who loves my 28 model A more than all my cars and am/ have been , learning the quirks and specialties of working on my car every day for years I can’t help but think after reading a ton of posts about everything on the A forums that there is a lot of over thinking about stuff… granted some things are more specific to some things on an A than other cars the basic principles to me are very similar to vehicles in general. When I put my Mitchell in I set it up by feel and it has been working perfectly for 5 years and about 10,000 miles. Am I wrong in this assumption? And yes, I do know what happens when you assume��

Last edited by marc silva; 08-03-2021 at 11:26 PM.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote