View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 32 spindle bolts

He Pete: There is a big 3/8" thick or so roller bearing that sits just below the head of the king pin - the weight of the car is held between the top of the 32 - 34 spindle and the bulbus top of the king pin (the part where the mechanical linkage slips into). So all the weight is loaded on the top of the spindle to the top of the king pin (with a bearing in the middle), not down below like on later setups.

Now, if you're not running mechanical brakes, you can setup the king pins and loads either way - depending on what king pin package you're running and what you prefer.

When I put hydraulic brakes on my 32, I switched to a thin Torrington bearing (with two thin hardened steel races on each side) that fits below the axle and handles the load of the car (between the axle bottom and the top of the bottom king pin boss of the spindle). This is the area where the thin steel grease shield cup and fiber washer went on the original setup - is about .100 thick (just ball park). On this setup, the king pin is "shorter", there is no room for the big roller bearing setup at the top. Hope this helps . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote