View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: I think I have found another controversial topic like 'Which Oil to Use'

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Hello Brent,

Best guess,...it could be as high as 20 pounds..PLUS the spring doesn't
seat well ! Also,..I think that the one piece guides should have "liners"
installed,...that makes them bomb proof..

djm

Hey Dudley, you are in the ballpark for sure.

I am not sure about the K-liner approach due to substantial costs and extra labor without much reward. The biggest gain in that area would be if I had a machining center where the hole could be correctly located in reference to tappet bore and seat opening.

As a side-note, I do know that the concentricity of many of the new valves are off requiring at least half of the faces to be re-ground before use. I generally see from 0.0020 - 0.0080 in variance straight out of the box. My older SVS2 can generally get around 0.0005 - 0.0007 on them after grinding, so while not perfect, it is a far cry better.

As I know you know all too well, it seems a good concentricity seat gauge is about a must to get a good seat seal, and most engine rebuilders likely do not own either gauge nor do they check them. Most people never realize that a portion of the performance in their newly-rebuilt Model-A engine is escaping past poorly bored cylinders and leaky new valves. I would be interested in your opinion but I would guess a 10% loss in performance is likely. Thoughts???

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote