View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #390
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The 5sec dump rule

Agricultural aeroplanes were to demonstrate to aviation (CASA) that they could dump a full load in 5 seconds. A safety requirement. This was easy if the load was liquid but if it were fertilizer it could not be done and if it was seed the chance was even more remote. There was only one way to pass this government test. Cheat.
For a new aeroplane type I was taking delivery of and being tested in Melbourne I cheated. Inleau of fertilizer we were permitted to use sand meeting some specific requirements however all the sand we checked was wet or damp so we were permitted to use crusher dust inleau of for this one occasion. Three previous attempts had failed. Well I loaded this crusher dust in 50 kilo lots, using a rubbish bin to weigh and physically lift and tip into the aeroplane hopper. I’d count like this 1,2 5 then that would attract the inspectors attention and when they became a little more relaxed I’d skip another couple of numbers. When we had what they believed was 1,200 kilos I flew, dumped and they timed with their stop watches. Yes I made 5 seconds but they didn’t check to see what was remaining in the hopper. I had cheated.
Some years later they became interested following a fatal crash of a pilot flying off our local aerodrome. The fellow had a load of rice seed on board. Although this did not involve me they asked me questions about rice sowing practise. I had modified my dump by removing all inhibiting mechanisms. This had not been approved they said and demanded I demonstrate to them that it met the 5 second requirement. With rice that was damp as per our usual practise of rice sowing. Well I lied and told them it was the wrong time of the year to acquire rice seed but I had bought urea fertilizer inleau of. They accepted this. Good. It is finely prilled and resembles small glass beads. I pointed out the value was some $700 and a local farmer would be pleased if I was to test dump this on his pasture. They accepted this and I provided them a vehicle and they drove some 5 miles to this location. I gave them sufficient time and took off and headed. When I arrived at the site I had about 6oo kilos remaining in the hopper. Other farmers too had part of my load. I achieved their 5 seconds, just. 4.9 they said. Well I had made it. I bought them lunch and they returned to their ivory tower in Sydney.
I don’t know how other operators handled this but they too must have cheated. As I once told a customs man I have no conscience about lying to the government, afterall they lie to me every day. The requirements today have changed. It is required that dump time be placarded on the dash although I don’t ever recall seeing it. I accept the fact that government is both difficult and dumb. It does appear this finding is not only isolated to us here in Australia.

This is a Piper Brave dumping. The picture is internet acquired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brave dumping..jpg (18.5 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote