View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
wwirz

Default Re: Coil or condenser over heat

My continuous issue....THE CONDENSER!!!. Same symptoms as you and it has always turned out to be the condenser failing. If you read through many threads, hobbyists go through several before they get a good OEM type condenser. I have had them last about 120 miles, tops, even if they are "short proof". My spring 2021 project (minor one) is to change to the modern points system (top and lower plate). My A friend who has done this says he has not had a problem since he converted to the modern system.
I had a 1951 Plymouth. When I tuned it up I always purchased; points rotor, condenser, distributor cap. After a while I had a pile of condensers and never knew of any problems with the plymouth ignition system. Why? The condenser was far from the heat of the engine and exhaust manifold.
I am not going to to tour with 3 condensers in my tool box. I have been lucky so far and I was not out in the middle of no where, hearing banjos in the distance, and raining when I had a condenser failure. But a condenser failure makes my wife feel uneasy with the bang, sputter, backfire. I gave the OEM, Henry design, a try, but I am upgrading and parts are on order.
I just want to sit back and "enjoy the ride". I am planning on going to NH in the spring for 2021 for the MAFCA tour. I do not want the hood up too often.
I will let everyone know how I make out with the upgrade.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote