Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #387
philipswanson

Default Re: New block

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Did you read the post "B&S" made about his "NOS" 59A block? A lot of "NOS" parts were factory rejects with the attendant problems.

Unless you have had your blocks thoroughly tested, I'll bet at least 8 of them are bad.. "Ran when parked" is not good enough; when I was in college, I ran an 8BA with 7 cracks between the valve pockets and the cylinders for two straight years with a combination of "STP", "Barr's Leaks", and some luck. I sold my second to last "good" 8BA block to a guy who had gone through 5 blocks from used engines that turned out to be unusable.

You are correct that there will be some good blocks coming out of the "woodwork" over the next 20 years, but nowhere near enough to satisfy the demand that seems to be building now. In addition, "Tod" is planning some modifications that will make his new blocks superior to anything used. They probably won't be "legal" for Bonneville and SCTA competition (at least not for a while), but they will be a boon for the average "hotrodder".
The NOS is a wartime military engine in cosmolene since new, not a reject. The others are low mileage original engine that were all visually checked. I'll probably never use any of them since I have 3 good running cars that I almost never drive.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote